What is Smart DNS?
Smart DNS, also known as a smart DNS proxy server, is a server that allows clients to access geo-restricted websites and services. Access to these proxy servers are provided through subscription programs using what is known as smart DNS technology. These software programs and services under the smart DNS technology umbrella grant access to popular services and websites which have blocked individual countries, or anyone from outside of their region, from viewing or using their offerings.
The smart DNS proxy server acts in an intermediary capacity. The server connect the client to the website or service provider as if that client is located within a non-restricted geography.
- Anonymity - This measures how far the provider will go to make sure that your information isn't available to third parties who come snooping for it.
- Price - The cost for a service should match up with the number and quality of service it provides, and this is why it's important to look at it.
- Reliability - If a service is going down all the time, then it's next to useless. The amount of uptime a service provides should be a big factor in whether you decide to go with them or not.
- Speed - Services that make your Internet slow to a crawl when you connect to them are also often not worth your time. The exact amount of speed you get out of a service will make a big difference in terms of whether it will be enough to facilitate your regular Web habits.
- Support - It's always frustrating when you can't get some aspect of service to work, but when the service has decent support through email, phone, live chat, forums or some other mechanism, it can make this problem much less of one. How a service ranks in terms of support will say a lot about how usable it is overall.
By looking at all of these criteria in each review, you should be able to get a good sense of how well a service will work for you.
People who enjoy watching online television programs, movies and other content through sites like Hulu, Netflix, BBC and other providers are able to satiate their appetite for online media, even when in restricted regions. Unlike comparable services, smart DNS works on a wider variety of devices. These include:
Advantages of Smart DNS Proxy Service
There are many advantages to using Smart DNS proxy service to obtain access to geo-limited and regionally blocked websites. Some of those advantages include:
- Data efficiency and speed. Smart DNS technology provides a means of viewing geo-restricted media at the highest possible speed. It is faster than VPN because it only redirects traffic that is regionally blocked, not all traffic.
- Device compatibility. Smart DNS proxy is unlike VPN, in that it offers greater device compatibility than more complex VPN systems. Smart DNS proxy can be used on all internet capable devices, such as laptops, smartphones, smart TVs, gaming consoles and more.
- Simple installation. There is no difficult installation of software or complex configuration required to set up your connection to smart DNS proxy. The quick and easy service provides painless streaming of content from websites blocked for your geography.
- Inexpensive service delivery. Less expensive than VPN, smart DNS proxy service is usually provided through manageable subscription.
Unblocked Services Accessible Through Smart DNS
Using smart DNS proxy, a wide variety of entertainment and informational services are opened to your geography. Others who do not have smart DNS proxy will not be able to access these regionally blocked sites, but using smart DNS proxy you will be able to enjoy all they have to offer.
Examples of commonly regionally-blocked sites include the following, to which smart DNS proxy will enable access:
- Netflix - US, CA, UK and DE
- BBC iPlayer, Sport and News
- HBO Go, HBO Now
- NFL Gamepass
- ABC, CBS, NBC, CNBC
- Fox TV
- Cartoon Network
- Food Network
- USA Network
- iHeart Radio
- National Geographic
- RTL and ZDF
- Many, many more
Many networks which become accessible using smart DSN proxy are free. Others require paid membership or subscription service. But once smart DSN proxy is being used, this wide range of sports, entertainment, information, news and movie networks are fully available to those who would otherwise be geographically restricted.
What are the differences between Smart DNS and VPN?
VPN technology provides some of the same service as smart DNS proxy. VPN changes and hides your IP, encrypting your connection. Sites are automatically unlocked as part of anonymous web surfing. Using VPN lowers your web browsing and media viewing speed, making enjoyment of unblocked sites more cumbersome.
On the other hand, smart DNS only unblocks websites. There is no IP cloaking or encryption to slow data. Beyond faster speed according to your regular browsing capability, smart DNS proxy works on many more devices than VPN.
Who uses smart DNS proxy services?
People who enjoy keeping updated about specific regional information or accessing websites of those countries use smart DNS proxy service. This service is perfect for people who love watching and listening to their favorite media online, including radio programs, top quality movies, sports events, regional television programs, and much more.
Many websites today block regional traffic to cut down on hacking attempts from outside of their country. Using smart DNS proxy service, you can again enjoy websites you love.
Because smart DNS proxy service is available on a wide variety of platforms, it works well for your internet-accessible handhelds such as smartphones, Kindle, iPad, other tablets and devices. The service also works on gaming consoles, smartTVs, AppleTV, laptops, PCs, Macs and other web-enabled large devices.